F-1 Visas

Minnesota Immigration Attorneys Helping F-1 Student Visa Clients

The F-1 Visa (for academic students) allows foreign nationals to enter the United States as full-time students at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school or other academic institution or in a language training program. You must be enrolled in a program or course of study that culminates in a degree, diploma, or certificate and your school must be authorized by the U.S. government to accept international students.

There are limitations and requirements related to F-1 students attending public secondary/high schools (grades 9 through 12), under U.S. law. Student F-1 visas cannot be issued to persons seeking to enter the United States in order to attend a public primary/elementary school or a publicly funded adult education program.

Can I Bring Family Members or Dependents to the United States with an F Visa?

Spouses of F-1 students and their dependent children under 21 can either accompany or later join the F-1 student in the U.S. during the same time period as the principal F-1 on an F-2 visa.  Children on F-2 visas can attend public elementary and secondary school.

Contact Us

Contact our immigration attorneys for a free consultation and learn more about your options for coming to the United States through an F-1 or F-2 visa.