Adjustment of Status

Minnesota Immigration Attorneys Helping Clients with Adjustment of Status

Foreign nationals who qualify for permanent residency may be eligible to obtain a green card without leaving the United States. This process is called “adjustment of status.” Generally, the immigration laws require foreign nationals to have lawful and legal entry into the United States and have no violations of current immigration status.

There are exceptions to the general rules. If a person applies for adjustment of status pursuant to an employment-based immigrant visa petition, they are eligible so long as they have not been out of status for more than 180 days since the most recent admission into the United States. Another exception allows certain persons who entered the United States illegally or overstayed their nonimmigrant visa to pay a monetary fine and still adjust status. There are also exceptions for “immediate relative” such as parents, spouses and children of U.S. citizens who may adjust their status despite being in the United States illegally or without legal status.

Contact our immigration attorneys at (612) 338-5007 to learn more about potential options for adjustment of status within the United States. Payment plans are available.